REPORT : 2020 Q3
This report offers insight into large account takeovers trends that happened over the third quarter of 2020.
- Playstation seems to be seeing lower ATO volume.
- Disney appears in two surges with Disney+ targeted.
- Facebook appears as well, related to CashApp fraud.
- Activision has a surge which may be from misguided news, rather than an incident.
- Twitter's incident caused some false positive activity which I am noting below.
askplaystation: Playstation seems to be cooling off from their normal volume.
disneyplus: A surge in ATO against Disney Plus accounts around 2020-08-25.
hotstar_helps: Hotstar is a subsidiary of Disney that seems to have been seperately targeted, for what looks also like Disney Plus accounts.
facebook: A surge in Facebook complaints with users believing CashApp scammers being the cause. Strangely I didn't notice a blip in complaints directed to Square.
atviassist: Some press occurred before this peak. This data may reflect conversation about the press instead of a surge in actual account compromises. If the complaints rolled in before the press, we could interpret it differently.
twittersupport: The September peak is a false positive related to an internal breach.
This is a total summary of all tweets meeting criteria.
This is a breakdown of totals per
@mention which helps find outliers.
Links for manual analysis.